Thursday, January 22, 2009

Book read: Flow - The Psychology of Optimal Experience


This book is about an interesting concept called flow researched by the author which we unconsciously experience every time we are deeply involved in a task enough to forget ourselves. For those few moments we forget our ego and everything around us. This sort of an experience leaves us with a deep sense of joy and satisfaction unlike anything that can be experienced with materialistic things.

What I liked about the book is it got me thinking about my routine of things and how seldom I have experienced it. I think the few instances have been when I am coding a difficult piece of code, solving a sudoko puzzle, solving a math problem or when playing board games like taboo and pictionary. I am really glad I read it. Now I will try and incorporate more activities in my lifestyle that will make me experience it.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who takes the occasional time off to ponder on life and wants to have a better living. I must admit it wasnt' exactly a cant put the book down sort of read for me, maybe because I am picking up a book after a long break. But without too much expectations its a good book to read.

No comments: